Chapter 1. Installing GWT
Table 1.1. Softwares
|Eclipse||4.2 Juno||220 MB|
|Google Plugin for Eclipse (GPE)||3.2.0||60 MB (including any Juno updates)|
|GWT Designer for GPE||20 MB|
|Google Web Toolkit SDK||2.5.0||105 MB|
|Google App Engine SDK||1.7.5||90 MB|
Download and install Eclipse Juno 4.2. Preferred Package is Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers. Other packages should also work but, Java EE package contains many of the dependencies of GWT.
Google Plugin for Eclipse (GPE)
GPE is the base plugin of Google and is required by other development tools and SDK like
- Android Developers Tool ADT
- GWT Designer for GWT
- Google Web Toolkit SDK
- Google App Engine Java SDK
Figure 1.1. Available Software
Install GPE from archive
Above method works smoothly if the link is stable. Couple of jars, GAE and GWT SDK, are quite large and in case link goes down while they are being downloaded then Eclipse goes for fresh download on retry. Instead, we can manually download these items and install them.
- Download GPE update site zip for Juno from http://dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/core/4.2/zips/gpe-e42-latest-updatesite.zip.
- Download Google Web Toolkit SDK – gwt-2.5.0.zip from http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list .
- Down Google App Engine SDK – appengine-java-sdk-1.7.5.zip from http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/downloads/list . These files may be downloaded either through the browser or wget, with option -c to resume the partially downloaded file.
- Start Eclipse Juno and choose Available Software window. Click the button and in Add Repository window click and browse and select the downloaded GPE zip file.→ to display
- List of available software, as shown in Figure 1.1, is displayed. Select Google Plugin for Eclipse and GWT Designer for GPE and install the plugins.
- Extract gwt-2.5.0.zip to any location of your choice. Go to→ → → Click the button and in pop up dialog browse to select the root dir of extracted GWT SDK and click button. This configures Eclipse to use GWT SDK.
Figure 1.2. Add GWT SDK
- Extract appengine-java-sdk-1.7.5.zip to any location. Go to→ → → Click the button and in pop up dialog browse and select the root dir of extracted App Engine SDK and click button. This configures Eclipse to use App Engine SDK.
Figure 1.3. Google Pulldown
GWT StockWatcher Tutorial
Install – For installation details refer Google Plugin for Eclipse 4.2(Juno) Installation Instructions .